Thursday, November 10, 2016

I Just Hate Over Achievers


There’s nothing wrong with ordinary. I just prefer to shoot for extraordinary.”
-Darren Hardy



Image result for acceleration
     Today was a wonderful day for my workout. Not because I was able to keep up with the platoon from 22 Minute Hard Corps, there was times I was way behind them going at my pace. The thing that was great about it was that on one particular exercise I was able to perform more than what was required. It might seem like a small feat for some to do 26 push-ups in the time that the other people do 25, but there is a big theme behind that simple achievement. That is over achievement. Now I know when you think of over achievers you kind of see them with disgust, but let me explain why over achieving is essential when it comes to succeeding at your goals. Whether it's physical fitness or something else, I can apply it in a positive way.
     When it comes to goals, we are taught about making SMART goals. That's an acronym for making your goals Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Realistic and Timely. That seems logical right? That is the problem though, it is logical. Throughout history there have been men and women that have had such illogical goals that people laughed in their face and completely discredited their ideas only to be surprised that what they saw as unrealistic was actually possible. To name a few people that have experienced this dismissal of credibility, Jim Carey, Oprah Winfrey and J.K. Rowling, all experienced this. Their goals seemed unrealistic and unattainable to most, but not to them, because they knew if they did their very best plus a little extra they could get what they were after.
     So relating these ultra successful people back to me performing 26 push-ups in the time it took everyone else to do 25. Because they didn't stop when they achieved what they initially had planned, but gave it even more effort, they succeeded even more. Something I heard in one of Shaun T's most recent podcasts from Trust and Believe was to "place your finish line farther than the actual finish line". That idea resonated with me, to the point that if I practiced my process to just get to my finish line, that is all I will be able to achieve. If I just move that finish line a little farther, there is so much more I can achieve. This is why my 26 push-ups to the rest of the people's 25 was significant to me today. If I keep trying to push just a little bit past the finish line, I will find much bigger results than if I were to remain fixed on the actual finish line. 
     That is why being an over achiever is a good thing and essential to mine and you're own success. I hope you found this helpful and inspiring to push just a little farther than you are required. Thanks for reading and always remember to LIVE NOW! We'll talk soon!
     

No comments:

Post a Comment